"Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
Everyone goes through difficult times - the loss of a job, death of a loved one, loneliness, illness, a new baby, a recent move or divorce - and countless others. Many people struggle alone but this was never God's intention. This is why being in fellowship with other Christians is so important. Stephen Ministers are trained and ready to walk along side people who are struggling and need individualized care.
Stephen Ministers are spiritually mature Riverview members, many of whom have experienced and overcome difficulties in their own lives. Because of God's grace and the love from people who have helped them heal, they have been called to serve others with "distinctively Christian care" in times of need.
To talk with a Stephen Minister, contact the church office.
Our Stephen Ministers:
- Receive 50 hours of initial training in caring ministry skills and concepts
- Are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training
- Patiently support and encourage someone through a crisis or difficult time
- Faithfully meet weekly with them to listen, care, encourage, and provide emotional and spiritual support
- Pray daily
- Participate regularly in group meetings for support, supervision and continuing education
- Keep all matters confidential
- Serve for at least two years
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. Those receiving care can be sure that their identity and what goes on in the caring relationship will remain private. If you would like to become a Stephen Minister, sign up HERE.